Green Building Concepts & Benefits
Green building is a method to develop more energy-efficient, healthier and environmentally responsible homes. Swerdloff Properties has extensive knowledge of the methods provided by the NAHB Green Homes Guidelines, Keystone Green Building Initiative and Energy Star Compliance Programs.
By incorporating various green building principles into our new homes, you can take pride in the fact that your home has less negative impact on the environment; lower operating costs, increased comfort and durability. It's a practical response to a variety of issues that affect all of us — like increasing energy prices, waning water resources, and changing weather patterns.
It means making intentional decisions about:
- Energy efficiency improvements such as high levels of insulation, efficient HVAC systems, high-performance windows and energy-efficient appliances and lighting
- Water conservation measures such as water-efficient appliances and fixtures, filtration systems, and drought resistant or low-maintenance landscaping
- Resource conservation using materials and techniques such as engineered wood and wood alternatives, recycled building materials, sustainably harvested lumber, and more durable products
- Indoor environmental quality considerations such as effective HVAC equipment, formaldehyde-free finishes, low-allergen materials, and products with minimum off-gassing or low volatile organic compounds (VOCs)
- Site design planning such as minimizing disruption and preserving open space
- Homeowner education through manuals and operating guides
- Global Impact green business practices that adopt ideas from other industries for saving resources and money in the home
If you are considering how to implement various levels of green concepts and tangible benefits in the construction of your new home, we will be happy to discuss the possible options and budget requirements you can expect when "going green".